School, and the sun, are back!

In a big way. Well at least one of them. I headed out this morning running a bit late as usual and was greeted by a slushy mix of rain and snow. (This reminds me of freshman year at Luther when a friend across the hall from India saw sleet for the first time and told us, 'look at this guys, it's fucking snow-raining out!') Anyways, I made it to school and began a 12 hour school day. Back in a big way. After the first set of lectures, all the peace students from both the first and second years gathered for a traditional Northern Norway celebration welcoming back the sun. Or at least it was supposed to come back today. We of course couldn't see it because the sky was full of clouds and snow-rain, but we celebrated anyways in the tradition of Norwegian elementary students, by eating solbolle (which are basically Bismarks or jelly-filled doughnuts without a hole) and drinking hot chocolate. Maybe it's supposed to represent the darkness being taken over by the light. I don't know. But it was tasty and fun to socialize with everyone and realize that brighter days are ahead!

I have been busy preparing for the semester and trying to enjoy my last days before all the classes begin (by watching the fourth season of 24). My dad and brother are coming this Thursday to visit for 5 days so I'm excited to show off Tromsø and get some good meals out of the deal!

Now time for bed so I can again celebrate school, and maybe the sun, tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Glad the sun is coming back! We are looking forward to getting there in time for some winter days and northern lights! Ya, we will be ready for some good eating spots too! See you soon. Dad
    Anonymous said...
    I have a faint memory of the "snow-rain" comment. Who was it that said it? I laughed out loud when I read that. :)
    Rachel Faust

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.