I heart Jostein


My housemate Jostein comes from Kirkenes, which is the Norwegian town next to the Russian border. I'm not sure if this is the reason or the excuse for what happened about five minutes ago in the kitchen. He asked me if I had ever had reindeer heart. Since he asked in Norwegian, I wasn't quite sure I understood what he meant. He then leaned into his fridge and pulled out a frozen reindeer heart in a plastic bag. Now, this wasn't like tripe when it doesn't look anything like what it actually is...this looked exactly like a heart with the valves and veins in perfect view. He pulled out a knife and in stereotypical Finnmark fashion cut off a piece of the heart and ate it off the knife. Well, I couldn't miss this "opportunity" so he cut me a piece, and I choked it down. It tasted a little nasty...maybe like very over-cooked roast beef. Maybe it would have tasted a little better if I hadn't seen him holding it front of me like the Indian Jones movie while I ate. "Kalima!" Now, off to eat our homemade pizza. I better make sure the heart doesn't sneak in underneath the corn...and seriously, who eats corn on pizza besides Norwegians?!

3 Comments:

  1. Brian and Alison said...
    that makes me gag. i wish you had eaten it off the knife too. BUT there are some parallels here between norwegians and brazilians it seems: brazilians not only down chicken hearts as if they were cheeze balls (they're an appetizer, they pop them in their mouth sometimes with their hands) but they ALSO eat corn on their pizza. you asked. i'm just the informant. oh parallel cultures.
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Scott--

    I must also provide some information....the Welsh eat corn on their pizza!! I thought it was the strangest thing when I was in Wales....I guess it's not so strange after all. Hope all is well. We thought of you at Epcot as we watched the Norway movie! We'll be in touch about traveling this summer, etc.
    Love-
    andrea
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Scott, what a story.. Good to have some real Finnmarkfolk up there. After reading this you understand that i terribly miss Fredshuset, but anyway, the Lowlands are fine too. Here i can get up early without being tired, that's something different than Tromso. I'm happy for you that the sun is soon coming back!
    Say hi to Fredsfolkens and tell them i miss them,

    Maaike

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.