From Bergen to Rocky

I have recently returned from another beautiful weekend in Bergen. It is truly amazing. Everyone tells me how rainy it is in Bergen, kind of like Seattle I guess, but everytime I go it's sunny and perfect. This past weekend was the same for many reasons...

But first, maybe I should explain why I have gone to Bergen twice and will be going again in April. I am enrolled in a class called 'Election Observation.' Basically, I'm learning everything there is to know about democracy, the electoral process, and how to go to another country (or Florida) to watch elections and determine if they are 'free and fair.' It has been a great class. There are people there of all ages and from all over Norway. Many work for the government, the army, political parties, and some are just curious students like me. I think we all share a love of travel and would all be pumped to be able to get a job working as an election monitor abroad. In fact, we are all excited because in October there is a possibility that we might be able to travel as a class to Estonia to monitor the elections there.

Probably the highlight of the class however is the professor, Frank Aarebrot. Andre and I call it the Frank Show and that's basically what it is. This guy is supposedly the Norwegian elections guru and is on TV during every election explaining what is happening and why. In addition to his book smarts, he has been all over the world as an elections monitor and it seems that our lectures are just a series of fascinating stories of his travels around the world monitoring elections. These travels have taken their toll on Frank though. Apparently there was some accident in Romania when he was there working as an observer and to make a long story short his foot was cut off. I can't confirm because he hasn't taken off his shoes, but he does walk with a little limb. It kind of adds to his mystic though as does his deveshveled, slightly ogre like appearance. He is an amazing teacher though and I love soaking up all he has to offer.

So yeah, I take this course by going to Bergen three times during the spring and having lectures Friday through Sunday from 10am until 4pm. Pretty intense. You would think after all this work we would be ready to relax, but no. With all these interesting people there is plenty of socializing to do, so every night a large portion of the class goes out for dinner and drinks. Bergen is definitely a great city to go out in as well, and every night we visit a different place. It always seems to be very hip and fun...or maybe it's just because I've been in Tromsø for so long.

The other definite highlight from this weekend and every time I have been in Bergen is the Mundal's house. Andre studies Peace with me and is originally from Bergen so I am lucky enough to stay at his home in Bergen when we take the course, and let me say, his mom spoils me almost as much as my mom does! Dinner, coffee, cakes, breakfast, conversation, and this weekend, a pair of gloves! I couldn't believe it. After waiting on me hand and foot all weekend she gave me a very warm pair of gloves from the store where she works. What a blessing. And on top of the great hospitality, the Mundals live an a beautiful part of Bergen, halfway up the Fløi mountain where the gondola takes people. It has a great view over the city (the first photo is from their window!) and the old house fits every stereotype I have of Norwegian houses: old, wood, simply beautiful.

So, needless to say I had a great weekend in Bergen. Salsa dancing, pizza with the Mundals, meeting Andre's two brothers, and walking home to Andre's house under clear, warm skies were all welcomed diversions from my normal Tromsø life.

After our time in Bergen, Andre and I took the train over the mountains of Norway to Oslo. We had a great time chatting on the train and seeing the grand scenary and powerful landscapes of Norway.
And, I had to laugh when we had a 20 minute delay in the small mountain village of Nesbyen because we had to wait for a train that was delayed after hitting a moose. Only in Norway. Fortunately, the waffles that Andre's mom had packed for us kept us full and happy.

Now back to Tromsø and reading. The highlight today was working out and seeing a guy doing pull ups with a 20 pound weight on a chain tied around his waste. Hard core up here in Northern Norway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.