Norwegian Obligation


All last week we had constant, steady snowfall that quietly submerged us in about a foot and a half of snow. On Sunday, (which is when all the Norwegians take "religious" ski trips) the sun began to peak throw in random blue patches in the sky. I felt a rustling inside. Some kind of Norwegian moral obligation to go outside and enjoy the weather. And so I did. I layered up and grabbed my skies and headed to my old stomping grounds at Prestvannet, which is a lake in the middle of the island. I decided that I was going to, for the first time, go skiing alone. And it was great! It was an absolutely beautiful setting. The naked trees were suddenly covered with heavy, wet snow and they hung over the trails like a picture that would be on a poster above Robert Frost's "The Road Less Travelled" in an English classroom somewhere. I skiied around and across the lake and I actually learned (kind of) how to ski. Well, the skiing is great. The stopping and turning leaves a bit to be desired. It was a great trip though and there was light snowfall and sun at the same time which was so fun. I only fell once, but it was next to the cemetary so I blame that on my Norwegian ancestoral ghosts.

Today, again the sun came out and this time I had even more reason to go because Berit, one of two Germans now living in my house, also wanted to go. It was perfect because we are about the same level in skiing ability so I wasn't too intimidated. We had a great tour going for an hour and a half from Prestvannet south, almost to the Southern tip of the island. We only stopped when a Norwegian guy informed us that there were no more trails the way we were going. It was another beautiful day and this time I had my camera! (see pictures to the right.) I got to see kids playing with reflective vests (always entertaining to me) and the ocean as we skiied on the highest area of the island. I only fell once, while going downhill, but I have to blame this one on myself. It was great fun and I think my moral obligation is fulfilled. I do hope to go again soon though and enjoy this winter wonderland!

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Scott,
    What a beautiful winter wonderland. . . thanks for capturing it with your camera for us to enjoy!
    Here in Dakota we are wishing for spring. . .
    Missing you. . . Love, Mom

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.