Welcome to Scandinavia. You Can't Leave.

Oh travel. I am currently sitting in a place I have always wanted to visit: Reykjavik, Iceland. Unfortunately, all I can see is a vast expanse of emptiness surrounding the airport. That's right, I'm stuck at the gateway to Europe. I took a flight from New York last night to Oslo through Iceland. Unfortunately, when we got on the plane this morning in Iceland to take the short two hour flight to Oslo, our plane had technical difficulties and since we are at 66 degrees North in the middle of nowhere, the next flight out isn't until 4pm. Plus, the airport shuts down because they basically have two waves of flights, so all the stores are locked up and i'm just listening to a large group of Asian tourists playing an intense round of cards. It's actually kind of funny in a Ze Frank sort of way. Also, they keep giving us information like, "it might leave in two hours" so I can't even go to the Blue Lagoon to soak in a hot geyser. Well, on the plus side, Iceland's airport is the first one I have found that has FREE WIRELESS! Or as the sign above me is informing me: ϸrá∂laust net. It came it really handy to finally change my flight to Italy. That's also correct. I should be on a plane to Italy in about 20 minutes, but instead I got to bust out my dusty Norwegian cell phone and go through my phone book looking for someone to stay with. Fortunately, my friend and classmate Kjersti is in Oslo and is willing to help me out, so I'll crash at her place tonight and for $250 dollars head to Italy tomorrow at 9am. So, free ham sandwiches instead of pasta and pizza i guess.

But, it's all part of the amazing race and of course I've gotten to meet some interesting people b/c of the delay like a college kid from macalaster who worked for two summers at the Mack beer brewary in Tromsø and the Norwegian guy sitting next to me who works with metal smelting. I have to admit i wasn't quite brushed up on my norwegian words having to deal with minerals, but i was able to hold my own. So, as I withstand a weird mix of jet-lag and fatigue thanks to some homopathic pills called no-jet lag, i'm left to do the last sane thing i can do: take weird pictures. Enjoy. and I hope to see you on the continent soon.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi Scott,
    Your travel adventures are never dull. . . I am sorry you did not make it all the way to Switzerland tonight. . . kind of confused. . . is it too late to take the bus there? Did you have to buy another ticket for $250? I am a bit lost but whatever. . . I only have to get from our house to Fishback Soccer field for Paul's first varsity home game. . . we are in the midst of a rainstorm and have already received over 2 inches. . . should be a fun evening on the sidelines!

    Go Team Meyer on the Amazing Race!!
    yanmaneee said...

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.