Normal...but great

Today was one of those days that makes you not want to leave Tromsø. It was pleasant in that it was a fairly normal day, just that everything was great.

I woke up at a decent hour, arrived at the university and spent the morning and afternoon actually producing. I enjoyed a great lunch, good conversation, a few visits with friends on campus, and beautiful northern lights on my way home. Then I ate dinner and talked with Stian, Jostein, and Maaike for two hours in the kitchen while Maaike and I tried to learn how to say fun norwegian words like omskjære and tenk i koffert. After slowly eating and enjoying some conversation with the "family," we all sat downstairs and watched a movie together, Borat at that, which provided even more for discussion. The four of us then took a nice walk to town together and sat at the comfortable and hip Verdensteatre where we enjoyed a glass of wine. Almost all of my good friends were there: Stian, Maaike, Jostein, Marjaana, Hanne Rachel, Fredrik, and Martin. We just enjoyed lively conversation and a fun evening. Then, Maaike and I walked home and enjoyed the second-most amazing northern lights i've seen this year. Somehow the entire sky was covered in a fog-like green and the white northern lights moved within the green northern lights that covered the sky, and it actually lived up to its name, somehow making the city and our walk more light. Upon our arrival home, Maaike and I rehashed the night over a plate of nachos...ok, two plates. Then internet and bed.

I think everyone can feel Christmas coming and our departures sneaking up on us, so maybe I'm recognizing the otherwise common-place, but tonight was great. Normal, but great. And that's a great feeling.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi Scott, just wanted to let you know that I was out on the western edge of Brookings tonite looking at the same northern lights that you were! The weather man said it was a good night to see them so I checked it out. Not quite as sharp and distinct as yours but definitely streaking and floating up in the sky. Only ours are pretty low on the horizon since we are not as far north. I agree, they are pretty cool, not normal here, but still great! John arrived home on time. We missed you with our visit but you will join us for more meals and visits soon. Love Dad

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.