You Know It's Dark When...

The lights go out. And they did this morning. I woke up a bit early at 8.45am and was sitting at my computer when the lights flickered and died. As goes the power, so goes the internet, so I headed downstairs and enjoyed some yogurt and muslix by candlelight. Life on the frontier. It was actually really cozy and kind of romantic, even though I was alone. The best part was looking across the street at the big stores and seeing a few lighters as people wandered through the dark aisles trying to find their way out. Kind of tough when it's dark outside too!

This got me thinking more of one of the recent observations about Norway: its use of electricity. It seems that everywhere people leave lights on all the time. I don't know if it's because of the darkness or because of Norway's historical excess of electricity supply, a lot of which comes from hydro power, but it seems so contradictory. I mean, we seperate our trash, recycle our cans, use public transportation, and there are always political discussions about the environment, but somehow the use of electricity is seperate from this debate. So, maybe this morning was just a wake up call: remember to shut off your lights!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.