Survival on the Slopes

My body is now moving again and I can safely say that I survived my first ski trip...yes, ski trip! I thought it was going to be snow boarding, but after going down the hill once, I got stuck in the turnstile before the T-bar lift and then, while being pulled up the hill, I fell and was dragged sideways until I was spit out halfway up the mountain. I tried to put my shoe back in the snowboard and couldn't do it and got extremely frustrated. Stian found me and suggested that I switch to skis, which I did.

Then, like angels from the Norwegian sky, two beautiful, kind, and professional female Norwegian skier gave me free lessons! We went down the hill together twice, enough for me to learn how to stay on my feet. It was great because when Stian found me again, I was ready to ski while standing next to the two ski babes.

Stian was a great teacher the rest of the night. We even went up the large lift and I made it down the 15 minute run. It was an incredible night to be skiing. It was freezing outside with temperatures at -15 degrees Celsius, but the sky was filled northern lights. When you reached the top of the lift, you saw the northern lights and all the lights from Tromsø and the surrounding islands and the dark areas where the ocean was. So beautiful. Unfortunately, I had to concentrate while racing down the mountain, but I definitely enjoyed a few moments of stillness while realizing where I was and what I was doing.

I'm no ski pro, but it's pretty cool to think I learned how to ski in Norway. I want to make sure to go again soon so I can remember how to do it! Until then, I'll keep taking the Aleve and massaging all these new muscles. Qué fuerte, no?

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi Scott, Glad you have had he chance to learn how to ski! Sorry that is one thing we never got around to doing when you kids were young. Probably because your mother and I never did it either. Sounded like a beautiful experience, wish I could have been there to learn with you. Back on the road again - ran 3 miles outside now that it is above zero again! Thanks for the phone visit.
    Love Dad

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.