Matavfall


I know, I know, saving the environment is important and I shouldn't complain about minor annoyances while others have to deal with my wasteful lifestyle, but there is something that grosses me out here in Tromsø: Matavfall. In Tromsø there is a systematic division of garbage. First, you have your recycleables: plastic, cardboard, and aluminum. These are easy to seperate because you can cash them in at the grocery store for a pretty good rate. Thus far, this has been the best, (and only) way I've found to make money in Norway. Second, you have your regular garbage that is bagged and taken away once a week. Finally, you have matavfall which is the food waste. Instead of having a garbage disposal we shovel all the left-overs into a small plastic bag under our sink. This festering bag of disease collects rotting peels, left over noodles, and anything else that 7 college kids might cook and not eat. Needless to say, it's a smelly mess. But hey, if everything was the same easy, it wouldn't be Norway, so I dump my left over cheerios and rice in the bag while holding my breath, the whole time praying i am not the one who has to take it out!

PS- New pics up. Check the link to the right!

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Your Norwegian grandmother has always had a bucket under the sink for such undesirable items. Even today with her garbage disposal in the Carriage House, she still has a mysterious pail under the sink! Some tradition never die! Love Dad

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.