Reflections on Tromsø



Sunrise: 8:13 AM
Sunset: 4:44 PM

I've been told that when Norway was occupied during World War II, Norwegians would wear or carry paper clips (a Norwegian invention) as a sign of nationalism and solidarity. Well, I've found a similar item carried or worn by everyone in Tromsø: reflectors! Everywhere you go people (and dogs!) are wearing and carrying reflectors that would put school crossing guards to shame. Although this is probably a necessary safety measure considering they live one fourth of their lives devoid of the sun, it does seem like a bit of overkill.

For instance, I went and set up a bank account at Nordea bank here in Tromsø. Instead of getting a coffee mug or a nice pen as a thank you from the bank, what do I get? A reflector! Thanks Nordea. I'll have fun playing with this. The same thing happened yesterday. I had a meeting for a United Nations simulation. Basically this weekend I am going to Bergen to participate in a role playing exercise where about 100 people gather together to be the United Nations. I, along with two fellow Tromsøians, will be representing Argentina. Anyways, we got together to talk about our goals and share information about Argentina. What do we get from the sponsors of the conference? A t-shirt? No. An I-pod mini? No. A cool slap bracelet reflector? YES!

Needless to say, I am now well lit so you don't have to worry about me getting hit by a car. Maybe just worry about the fashion police now that I am wearirng a glow-in the dark slap bracelet. Remind anyone else of 3rd grade?

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Speaking of third grade...I'm sure Jack would love a slap bracelet!!

    Cold weather arrives here tonight-yesterday we were swimming!! Lions Club panacake supper this pm, is there a classic event like this in Norway??

    Take Care,
    CINDY

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.