Cross-Cultural Understanding Underway


I embarked on the frightening task of giving a 15 minute presentation this evening...in Norwegian! Fortunately it was for the Rotary Club which has to be one of the best audiences one can have. As part of my scholarship as an International Ambassadorial Scholar I am supposed to teach Norwegians about America and learn about Norway to eventually share with Americans. Well, one way to do this is to give a presentation to my host Norwegian clubs about the US and my experience here in Norway.

I told the all male Tromsø South club about how it is important to meet people from other cultures to truly learn what others are like. With all the debate over the Muhammed Cartoons, I thought it was appropriate to praise Rotary for encouraging cultural exchange as well as pressing them to continue their contributions. I told them a bit about my home in South Dakota and the "Norwegians" there. I also told them about the Peace Studies program and wanted to put a bug in their ear about working with the Peace Center in the future. Finally I told them about my experiences here in Norway. I got the most laughs telling them about my experience with "Lett Øl."

In Norwegian, Lett Øl means light beer, but it is light in the sense that there is less alcohol, not that there are less calories like in the US. Well, the first time I went to the grocery store I saw the light beer and it was so cheap! So, of course I bought a six pack. When I got hom and was informed by my roommates about my mistake, I put the Lett Øl in the back of the fridge. I think it took about 6 months to finally finish it! The old Norwegian Rotary Men got a kick out of that.

So, things went well! I got to practice Norwegian and even received a bottle of red wine as a thank you! Definitely a valuable item in Norway. Plus, I received a Tromsø Rotary flag to give to the Brookings Club when I get home. So, cross-cultural understanding is underway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.