Cultural Phenomena i Norge

I just came inside after going for a run around a lake next to the dorm where I live. I saw a break in the rain and thought I should take my chance. While going for a run, I experienced first hand one of three cultural phenomena I have noticed in the past couple of days: Self-Imposed Guilt. I don't like to stereotype, but based on observations and conversations I have noticed that Norwegians feel compelled to be outside whenever possible, and especially when the weather is somewhat decent. Everyone was outside either walking their dog or kid, running, practicing XC skiing on wheels, or just sitting by the lake. It must be a sign that I should seize the opportunities of light that I have!

The second phenomena is something we talked about in our orientation meeting on Friday, something called Janteloven. This is the unwritten law in Norway that no one is allowed to be better than anyone else. No one is supposed to be proud or self-promoting. It is very true too! In class the Norwegians are always very hesitant to speak, afriad that they will either stand out or be seen as arrogant. It has been frustrating to me because I want to hear what they think, but talking to a Norwegian girl from our class about it, she says that it will take sometime (if ever) for the Norwegians to get past it. Maybe it's a trait passed on from Norwegian immigrants?

Finally, and most importantly, the phenomenon of rock, paper, scissors. Seriously, this is insane! Yesterday at a pub in town there was the Tromsø Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament. Apparently, they bracket and play a rock, paper, scissors tournament...and according to the Norwegians I was talking to, it involves a lot of skill! They said that every year the same people are in the finals. They supposedly read the oppenent and can tell what object they are more likely to pick. They also note that it is almost unheard of to pick paper first. Yeah...the best part is that the winner of the tournament gets a free trip to Las Vegas to compete in the International Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament! Look out ESPN, right after the spelling bee and poker, I think Rock, Paper, Scissors is the fastest growing sport. So look out for a Norwegian National Champ to be coming to the US soon to seek gold and glory. In the meantime, practice. Maybe you can be a national champ too!

Off to a food festival in town in celebration of 100 years of Norway being a country. Should be fun and wet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.