Film Festival Day One

The movie festivities have begun in Tromsø! Everyone is walking around with aqua green wrist bands, a book describing all the movies, and a program schedule so they can fit in as many movies as possiblle. I started my movie experience yesterday, braving fierce winds to walk to the theatre to see two movies. In Norway, everything is rated based on dice with a six on a dice being the best and a one on the dice being the worst. So, in that tradition I am pleased to provide you reviews from the first day of the Tromsø International Film Festival.

The first film I saw was called: "Paradise Now." This was an intense movie about two friends who are recruited as suicide bombers in Palestine. It follows their path from Palestine to Israel: their preparation, their families, a brief look at how they got where they are, and the extreme differences from Palestine and Israel. When their first attempt at crossing into Israel fails, they are left with the option to try again or abandon their plans for matyrdom. What will happen?!

This film was powerful, although it was a surprise when it was subtitled in Norwegian! (One of only three movies at the festival that aren't subtitled in English.) Good practice for me. Fortunately, my friend Mostafa from Chad was able to understand the Arabic that they spoke, so we were both alright.
I would give this movie a four because it had a very powerful message, but I was expecting more. They did a great job of not picking sides in the conflict, but rather just showing the differences and the justification some people use to justify violence. A little more character development would have been nice, but overall I recommend it!

The second film I saw yesterday was called "Kukumi." This was a slow-moving movie about a mental hospital in Kosovo at the end of the war in 1999. When the Serbian troops withdraw, the workers at the hospital flee and the patients are free to leave the hospital. A group of three patients leave together and give the audience a view of rural life in Kosovo. Ultimately, we learn that life outside the hospital is crazier than life inside and they ultimately decide to go back to the hospital.

This was a boring movie. A good message that could have been given in 20 minutes instead of 2 hours. Although it was nice to see the landscape of Kosovo, the 5-10 minute periods of silence where a bit much. I would give this movie a generous 2 rating. Only because of scenes such as a crazy guy flashing a political rally only to fall off a cliff saved this film from the one rating. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this movie.

Tonight I am headed to a midnight showing of a Spanish comedy called "Tapas." Then, I "have" to get up for a 9am showing of a movie called "Shooting Dogs" about Rwanda. Another feel good movie I bet. Should be fun. Until then, the film critic has spoken.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey Scottie - I would love to be enjoying the film festival with you, especially with South Africa as the highlighted country! Alison and I watched The Constant Gardner and we enjoyed solving the mystery along with the main character. Brokeback Mountain was also a top notch film that I would recommend! Tonight Paul and I are headed to Benihana's for dinner with my parents, his parents, Angie and Chad. Keep me posted on your films and dice ratings. Love you. Katie

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.