Is this my home?

It's hard when you read the news as obsessively as I do to avoid constantly reading about bad things that happen. But, I could help but be affected by the latest story about the school shooting in Virginia. It is so preposterously awful and insane to imagine.

Although it is much different, it brought to mind memories of being at Luther College on September 11th. We watched all the shit happen on the tv, which was bad enough, but was worst was that there was a bomb threat soon after the planes crashed. Everyone was evacuated from the university, no one knew what was going on, and there was just this sense of being stunned.

It's this sense of not really knowing what is going on with all the violence I constantly read about and just being stunned by the latest news headline. It's also frustrating because the US is my home, and I would like to return there someday, but events like this just make me wonder if I want to go there because it's a good place or simply because it's where I was raised. I'd like it to be both, but the solitude (although overly romanticized in this moment) of Tromsø just seems so tempting when trying to escape something like this.

I hope people who are affected by this story are doing alright because I'm guessing it's a lot more difficult to avoid hearing about it over and over. I like to go out on some kind of wrap up line or positive not, but it's just time to leave the computer and think about something else.

2 Comments:

  1. Silje said...
    Hey my friend, I just wrote a long comment to you but decided to post it as a separate post on my blog instead. Thank you for triggering my brains. And heart too!
    Home is where the heart is, someone said. I believe it's true. You can make a difference in the world wherever you are, as long as your heart is there.
    http://acloudintrousers.blogspot.com/2007/04/about-numbness-and-action.html
    Brian and Alison said...
    hey scott. yeah, the virginia tech shooting has really rocked the nation, and columbia's campus as well, and i'm sorry it's affected you so negatively (but perhaps it should affect us all so strongly). i hope you take the time to remember though, as you revel in the solitude and beauty of tromso, that home can be both ugly and comforting, both beautiful and foreign, and that it can exist simultaneously in more that one place. and above all, i think home is wherever you choose to make it. keep questioning--

    al

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.