Hugin's Report

I learned last night that one of the birds on the University of Tromsø's logo is named Hugin. In honor of Hugin, they have a monthly open mic night at the local student pub called Driv. Last night Rachel and I went and knocked him dead. We were the first act and sang "Killing the Blues." She hung on the blue notes while I ripped on the harmonica. It was a great show, and we had great support. Nearly all the Mosjøen men were there and all but one of my new housemates were there. It was awesome! (You can check out new photos posted to see all the action.)

The show progressed and since it was the first one, they didn't have many acts. They asked if we would be willing to do antoher song, so I decided to cover one of my favorite bands: the OC All-Stars! In honor of Dain and Nick, I busted out a little Careless Whisper, just like the old days. So if you guys are out there, know that you are well loved in Tromsø. Unfortunately the dance moves were not as crisp as they once were and it is higher than I remember, but I wailed it out and they seemed to like it. It was fun night either way.

Now the weekend has arrived. Tonight I'm playing some poker here with teh Mosjøen Men (Stian and his hometown friends) and tomorrow I think I'm going to Driv for a four floor party they're having. I'm not sure about the mountain top though because as of yesterday, I can now see snow outside my window on the top of the mountain! Yikes. I hope it melts away before Sunday, otherwise we're doomed to watch as it slowly creeps towards the city. Enjoy the fall weather. I'm bundling up!

1 Comment:

  1. Silje said...
    Just a comment about Hugin; you might know it already but Hugin was one of the Norse god Odin's two ravens. The other was named Munin. Hugin and Munin means "memory" and "thought", and Odin, the god of knowledge and wisdom, sent them away out in the world every morning. In the end of the day they would come back and tell Odin everything they saw and heard. Nothing can be kept secret for Hugin and Munin, so watch out! The university logo is in this sense very beautiful, and also very appropriate for a learning institution.

    The word hugin can still be found in the new-norvegian (nynorske) expression for 'remember' - 'å komme i hug'. I guess it's also related to the verb 'å huske', or 'å hugse' in nynorsk.

    Silje, the informant :)

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.