Showing It's Colors


May is an exciting time in Norway, not just because everyone is stressed out about papers and exams, but because it is the month of color and holidays in Norway! On May first is the Labor Day celebration when everyone goes out and protests something. Then the next two and half weeks are full of drunk high school seniors celebrating their graduation. Finally, on May 17th is the national constitution day when people dress in their traditional costumes and for one day show a sense of nationalism.

Last year I did the whole 17th of May experience, going to all the parades, playing games, eating lots of cake and drinking coffee, and taking lots of photos of Norwegians in bunads. This year was a different, but equally great experience. I slept in and hosted an all day, low-key party at the house. All my favorite Norwegians came, and some international friends, and we enjoyed a day of eating, talking, drinking, eating, talking, playing games, and eating. Pretty much in that order. I didn't to any of the official parades, partly due to the fact that it was raining, but I did dress up in my suit to try to fit in with the beautiful Norwegians!

I am way behind on photos, and so I've decided to take the opportunity to move a new photo page! So now, you can check out all my photos at flickr by clicking on the link above that says "photos." The old photos will still be availble for viewing at, of course, "old photos." With flickr there are a lot of opportunities for comments and sharing, so I expect everyone to let me know what you think. I also started posting Easter photos, 1st of May photos, and some pictures of my house. I hope you enjoy the colors of Norway!

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi Scott,
    Your Syttendai Mai party looks fabulous! The table is such a delicious, typical Norwegian spread. And I love the clean lines of the new apartment!
    My congratulations on finishing your thesis -- very impressive work!
    Congrats also on your new position in Spain. Opportunities abound!
    So glad you keep in touch with us this way... love, Jeanie Bergan
    Unknown said...
    cool your blog! I can improve a lot my American.. :-)

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.