Barnehage

A couple of weeks ago a collection of three signs convinced me to apply for a job at the local barnehage (pre-school). First, Curt Rice, a professor at the University and friend encouraged me to apply as a great way to practice Norwegian and get paid just by playing with kids. Then, the next day I was on the bus when a group of 25 barnehage kids came on the bus going on some type of field trip. They were very energetic and their teacher was an outdoors, young, very good looking girl. I thought, yeah, maybe I should consider this! Then, the day after the bus sign, Kjersti told me about her great experience at a barnehage in her home town. After the cock crowed three times, I decided to believe and applied. The lady sounded very interested and told me to call her back when I returned in October.

Well, at 7.30am on the 16th, after going to bed at 2.30am, my phone rang. I woke up and answered it and was surprised to find out it was the barnhage calling and asking if I could come work at 8.30am that day! I said yes in a sleepy state and made my way over to the pre-school.

And it was great! Even though I was extremely tired, I had so much fun with the kids and was happy to feel like I was doing something that not only paid, but also paid off. There were lots of funny memories from my first day. I arrived and started playing with the kids who in our class were 3-6 years old, jumping in with what would be 7 and a half hours of Norwegian. Fun stuff! Well, I let the kids find out that I liked to wrestle and throw kids around a little too soon I think! After about an hour, I was the climbing tree and over half of the 15 kids there were climbing on me and pulling on every limb and hair follicle I have. It was great though, even though they won the fight, I put up a good match.

There were two other teachers there if you could call us that. They were very nice and helped me out. The first sign I was a newcomer was at lunch. I was responsible for cutting the bread for the sandwiches and made the cardinal sin of cutting the bread the wrong way! It reminded me of being in the States and eating a sandwich made by someone else who cut the bread differently. The kids all looked at it kind of confused. The other teacher told them that it was good to try new things and that it would taste the same. Finally, they gave in and started eating. I thought it was funny too because a lot of them commented on how the bread looked like a sail boat, not just any boat, but specifically a sail boat. A good reminder that I was indeed in a fishing, sea-loving community.

Another highlight was going outside. It was the 16th of May, but we were still in the midst of two days of snow. The snow was coming down in huge flakes and it was just like winter. So, I had the pleasure of bundling up the kids in their snow suits! First the wool long underwear, both pants and top. Then the waterproof snowpant-like overalls with the matching water proof coat. Then the big rubber boots, hats, and mittens. They waddled out to the playground for some outside time...and when I say some, I mean Norwegian some. We were outside playing in the snow from 1.30-4pm with a 20 min break to eat carrots as a snack! It was crazy. Fortunately for me, Norway treats their workers well, and I have a half hour lunch and two mandatory 15 min breaks. I got to warm up inside and realize that the more I work at the barnehage, the more I will be addicted to coffee, every drinks it during breaks and almost forces it down you!

I had fun outside in the May snow. It tastes better than February snow! I played games with kids. I made a basketball hoop that I held out of some string and had contests throwing snowballs at trees. Of course, all the games seemed to end up with all the kids throwing snowballs at me. It was fun though. They don't have very good aim, so I was able to survive without too many injuries.

Again this morning, the barnehage called, but I couldn't work today and was too wiped out from Norway's Constitution Day, Syttende Mai (more on that soon!), to substitute today. I am very excited though to continue working all next year. It's a great way to learn Norwegian, I get paid well (about 150 bucks for the day), and it's just plain fun. I'm going to have to work out over the summer though so I can throw the kids around!

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey Scottie! What fun-working for the pre-school! It will be a great experience! Although I think it's crazy you got paid that much! That's 3x more than what I made working at Sunflower! Sick! :) We celebrated Syttende Mai here in Decorah of course. Although I was working, so I didn't get to partake (parades,dancing,free admission to the Vesterheim,etc.). I love reading your blog- it's so fun to hear of your experiences! Peace!
    Rachel Faust

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.