Ready for the Modern World

I'm excited to say I'm moved into my new room on the top floor of the Peace House! (see pics below) I decided to move upstair for a little more space and a great view of the mountains. Plus, Stian will also be moving to the room across from me so we will have our own little bachelor pad corner of the house. And, the list of exciting things goes on. Our housemate Igor, who is known for getting drunk and destoying things, hanging up racist posters, and rarely leaving his room, will not be coming back next year! To make things even better, the constant pounding and explosions outside our house as they rebuild the street will be finished by the time we get back. It will be quite a place next fall!

On a totally different tangent, I read the most interesting article today about the Nukak people in eastern Colombia. They are an Amazonian Indian group that has had virtually no contact with the outside world. Apparently in March, 80 of them walked out of the forest and declared themselves ready to join the modern world. A fascinating story (accompanied with a photoslide show and audio commentary) in the New York Times for anyone interested in anthropology or politics.

Off to write about globalization and use my new fascination with the Nukak as a case study in my paper.

Room Pics:

The bed with collage of randomness...hopefully photos will be added soon.


The huge desk. Notice the border around the ceiling of Barcelona pics and my bookshelf strategically shown in the mirror.


The great view out my window. Notice the hole to China they are digging in front of our drive way.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey Scott,
    I enjoyed the tour of your room online. . . looks like a great choice on floor # 3. . . Love, Mom
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Scott, Your room looks great! After being there I can imagine the 3rd floor and your view. As they say in the old TV sitcom - glad you are movin on up! I ran the brookings half marathon today in drizzly rain but had a good time. See you soon. Love Dad

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.