Bumping Ride



I got on the bus yesterday and noticed a strange change: suddenly, what was normally a smooth, uneventful bus ride had turned into an unwelcomed 15 minute session on a vibrating bed. The ride was incredibly bumpy, noisey, and slow. I knew it was icy out, but this was ridiculous! When I finally got off the bus I looked down to discover a change on the Tromsø buses: chains! Now, all the Tromsø buses are equiped with chains on the tires, ready to eat up the road and ice...and our stomaches.

I guess the chains are necessary, especially now as rain has turned a winter wonderland into ice. I was able, however, to capture Tromsø before the sun completely disappeared and before the snow turned to ice. In fact, I was so inspired by the short-lived beauty of winter here that I started the following blog that I never got around to posting. It seems false now, but you can take a look at the new pictures, read the old blog and see what we enjoyed for about three days. I guess it was a sign when our snowman was decapitated that troublesome weather was a-head...eh? anyone?

Incomplete (and now inaccurate!) Blog Entry from Nov. 16:
After a steady snowfall all night and this morning, Tromsø is now officially a winter wonderland, and I think it is here to stay! It is amazing to me how the trees are absolutely covered in snow. It looks very different from South Dakota because there isn't as much wind, so the trees just droop with snow. It looks like something from an old calendar's December portrait page. Not only is the snow make Tromsø looks more beautiful, it actually adds (a little) light. We need all the light we can get!

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey Scott,
    It is Thanksgiving Day Eve here. . . I am soon out the door to the Volga Grocery Store to purchase my lefse for tomorrow's feast. . . do you ever eat lefse in Tromsø? I have a few more dishes to prepare and then it will be the turkey to roast in the morning for our noon feast. We are enjoying another lovely autumn week complete with sunshine and of course SD wind. We will miss you around the table tomorrow. John arrived home last evening from Luther land. . . good to see him again!

    Thanks for sharing your awesome photos of the wonders of nature in Tromsø. . . you have some wonderful photos. Through pictures and your poetic words we can try to imagine your day to day life there this time of the year.

    Love, Mom
    Anonymous said...
    Happy Thanksgiving Scott! I know you are not celebrating over there but we miss you at our table. G&G, Brian&Andrea arrived. Mom cooked all the dishes, Grandma brought scalloped corn and I successfully cooked the turkey. Great meal! Now the guys are taking a nap. Your pics are beautiful. No snow here, just a nice cool fall day. John wants to go up and see his summer school classmate play basketball tonite. Abbey has just sniffed around waking everyone up! 5pm and getting dark - we still get a little light for awhile! Take care. Love Dad

Post a Comment




Copyright 2006.

Template: GeckoandFly.

Modified by Blogcrowds

Thank you, come again.